Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sculpture - Paper Dolls

For my sculpture project I chose to create paper mache dolls. I hope to continue and refine my craft. As for now, these images show 2 of the 5 dolls I made and my statement is as follows:

When I was growing up, it was always cool to be somewhat of a tomboy. Many feminine things were labeled “girlie” and had unspoken connotations of being frivolous, weak and/or annoying. I grew up with a single father and that further enhanced my distance from typical “girlie” things. The only dolls I ever liked were Cabbage Patch Kids and stuffed animals. I think I had 2 Barbie dolls that I never played with. I didn’t know what to do with them. I would have rather played kickball or with shrinky dinks.

As an adult I have more of an affinity towards dolls. I am not interested in dolls for entertainment media or traditional collectible dolls, but I am really drawn to “art dolls”. I particularly like the work of Virginie Ropars, a doll artist in France who went from being a graphic artist to becoming a 3D modeler and illustrator. She shows her work regularly in Europe and America. Dolls are loaded with gender concepts as in the work of Greer Lankton, who was born a man but led his life as a woman and used dolls to express his perceptions of gender in his installation art. Both of these artists have inspired me. (http://vropars.free.fr/ARCHIVESGALLERY_1.htm and http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/features/morton/morton1-26-07.asp)

This work celebrates the doll and the defining feminine side of women that is different from men and that we should celebrate in this post-modern world that aims for equality. They also represent the dolls I never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment