Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Free Jazz in Harlem!


Tina's sculpture sparked memories of that J.D. 'Okhai Ojeikere's work and last night her presentation sparked memories of going to Marjorie Eliot's apartment a few months ago. Marjorie Eliot is a jazz pianist that loves to perform for people in her home. She invites other performers and opens her doors to friends and strangers and does not charge a thing. An article in the Daily News quoted her in 2009 saying, "I get more than I give."

A friend brought me up to her apartment for a night of jazz in January or February. At first I couldn't find it and felt annoyed at the out of the way location and the weather. I like jazz, and there is some jazz that I love, but sometimes I have a hard time getting into it. I didn't know what to expect.

When I finally got there, the apartment was packed. There were seats all the way to the front door and I was able to stand right in the entrance way next to the front door. It was uncomfortable. I was late and it was cold and raining. I wanted to go home. I listened to the jazz from the crowded doorway and thought how nice it was that she does this. The break came and I moved closer for the second set. In the room where they were playing, the lights were blue. I was able to sit next to the radiator and sit close to my friends.

When the second set began I was right in front of the jazz players and close to Marjorie. The music filled the room and it sounded great. It was played with passion and love and gave off a very positive energy. They played classics that I knew and a few songs that I didn't know. They came in and out of the during solo parts, taking their performance seriously and adding something playful to it. Everyone who played looked like they were really enjoying themselves. It wasn't about money or about being in a spotlight. It was about the music. It was also about remembering her son, who was a jazz musician. "Marjorie started the concerts in 1994 to honour the memory of her son, Phillip, who died of a kidney infection. She has not missed a weekend since. 'Back then, I just prayed for the doorbell to ring,' she said. 'Please let it ring, it means people want to come. So every time the doorbell rings now, even in the middle, my heart skips a beat.'" - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/article408282.ece

The visual culture piece of this experience was the setting combined with the music. The visual aspect of her performance, her home, makes this experience like no other. The crowd is also a variety of ages and ethnicities/races (but primarily black and white). I looked around and the room was still full. There was an older couple in front of me that held hands as the woman looked at the man with a smile and when one of the classics started. I thought it would have been a perfect date for me and my husband, but I have not gone back yet.

At the end of the show she thanked everyone for coming and with sincerity. She acknowledged the Chinese New Year and said a few extra words for MLK's Birthday and the gratitude she has for what followed after his work. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes jazz.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/03/09/2009-03-09_marjorie_eliot_of_washington_heights_hos.html
http://www.harlemonestop.com/organization.php?id=84

No comments:

Post a Comment