Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hitler's Art - Auctioned


On April 16th, Hitler's drawings were auctioned. I remember the first time I heard about Hitler's artwork. Around 2000, when Rudy Giuliani was still mayor of NYC, there was a controversy over the show titled "Sensation" at the Brooklyn Museum. The controversy was centered around a religious painting on display because part of the painting was made with human feces. Giuliani supported and participated in negative commentary about that show. He also had it closed down. I was attending the School of Visual Arts at the time and one of my professors showed us a video that compared Guiliani with Hitler. Hitler prevented artists from doing their work and expressing themselves during the time of the Nazi's. I also learned that Hitler was not accepted into art school. His experience of not being accepted is often contemplated as a factor that was potentially connected to his actions during WWII. Recent articles say that his professor was Jewish and I've also heard that his grandfather, who was unsupportive of his art, was also Jewish.

Now, in 2010, his art is being auctioned. Newspaper articles describe his work as mediocre, the reason for not being accepted to art school after applying twice, and that his work would be considered moderate today. Today he probably would be accepted into art school, possibly based on his potential to improve. It reminds me of a recent class discussion that touched upon the importance of who the artist is in relation to the artist's work and the artist's success. The auction sold Hitler's work for approximately six times the expected value. Collectors may have been interested in adding to their collection of WWII collectibles or might just have wanted to own the work of someone famous. I'm not surprised that his work sold and when I read who the buyers were, it makes sense. Still, I don't feel I missed out on anything and I, personally, would not want art created by Hitler.

Articles

Sensation Closed Down
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/10/nyregion/sensation-closes-as-it-opened-to-cheers-and-criticism.html?pagewanted=1.

The Auction Announced

After The Auction
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/23/hitler.auction/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment